Nice to meet you.
Nice to see you.
Good morning (morning)
Good afternoon (afternoon) Good evening (evening)
Introducing someone else
I'd like you to meet ...
May I introduce ... to you?
What is your name?
My name is ...
I would like to introduce myself; my name is
Tell us about yourself!
Where do you come from ?
I come from ... (Makassar, Medan) What is your family like?
I have a ... (big family, smallfamily)
|Do you have any brothers or sifters? |
I have a ... (brother and two sisters) No I am an only child.
Are you a ... ? (student) What do you study?
I study ... (accounting, engineering)
What do_you do?
I am a ... (student, teacher)
I work in a ... (coffee shop, office) How are you?
I'm fine, thanks for asking. What about you?
Ending a conversation
I have to go now.
Read the following texts and answer the questions!
Good morning, I would like to introduce myself. My name is David Johnson and it is nice to meet you. I come from near Cambridge. I live in a small village that is close to the city of Cambridge. I am 20 years old. I am studying history at university and work in a shop at the weekends. I have one brother and one sister. They are both older than me. My sister is 26 years old and my brother is 22 years old. They have both graduated from university and work in London.
Hi, my name is Lucy Spalding and it is great to meet you all. I am really excited to see so many people. I am 24 years old and am an only child. I come from Newcastle, which is in the North of England and a long way away from here. My mother is a teacher and my father works in an office. I finished a degree in Media Studies last year and am unemployed at the moment. I want to move to London to find work sometime.
Hello, it is nice to see you all. I'm Elaine. I come from Cardiff and it is great to be here to meet you all in Reading. I am 42 years old. I am married to my husband, Richard, and have two children. One son called Andrew who is 18 years old and one daughter who is 16 years old and called Tracy. I work in a supermarket and my husband is a police officer. My son wants to study computing at university while my daughter wants to become a singer.
Good morning. It is a pleasure to meet you. Please let me introduce myself to you. I am Hamid and I come from Pakistan. My home town is Islamabad, the capital city. I am 19 years old and have come to the UK to study English. I will stay here for one year. I want to learn a lot. My family is big. I have 3 brothers and 1 sister. I am the oldest and my sister, the youngest, is 11 years old. My father works as a government official and my mother is a housewife. I want to learn English so I can get a good job. I do not work as I spend all my time studying.
- Where is David Johnson from?
A) London C) Cardiff
B) Reading D) Cambridge
- What is the name of Tracy's mother?
A) Elaine C) Richard
B) Lucy D) Andrew
- How many brothers does Lucy Spalding have?
A) 0 C) 2
B) 1 D) 3
- How many siblings does Hamid have?
A) 2 C) 4
B) 3 D) 5
- What do Elaine's children want to?
A) Sing and work as police officer
B) Study computing and sing
C) Work as a hairdresser and study media studies
D) The passage does not say
Read the following conversation between two people who_have just met each other and write a summary of it. In the summary you should describe the two people that were having the conversation. I-Jse complete sentences to write your summary.
- Claire: Hello, I'm Claire. What is your name?
- Brody: Hi, I'm Brody. It's nice to meet you.
- Claire: What do you do?
- Brody: I am a student at Hull University.
- Claire: What do you study?
- Brody: I study geography. Are you a student?
- Claire: No I work as a teacher.
- Brody: How old are you?
- Claire: I am 24 years old. What about you?
- Brody: I am 23 years old.
- Claire: Where do you come from?
- Brody: I come from Southampton. It is on the south coast.
- Claire: I went there for a holiday once. I come from Luton. It is near London.
Do you have any brothers or sisters?
- Brody: Yes I have an older brother. He is 25 years old and still lives in
Southampton. Do you have any siblings?
- Claire: No, I am an only child.
- Brody: What about your parents?
- Claire: My mother works in a shop and my father is a mechanic. He works in a garage fixing cars.
- Brody: My brother is also a mechanic. My mother is a housewife and father works as an electrician.
- Claire: Would you like to go and get some coffee to drink?
- Brody: Yes that would be nice. We could talk more.
Start your summary with Brody is a student at Hull University. .....
Work in pairs and ask your partner the following questions (choose set A or B)
|Set A||Set B|
|How do you do? |
What is your name?
Where do you come from ?
What do you do?
What do you study?
|How are you? |
What's your family like?
Do you have siblings?
What do your parents do?
What is your hobby?
Answer the following questions in complete sentences!
1. What is your name?
2. Where do you come from?
3. What do you do?
4. What do you study?
5. Where do you study?
6. What do your parents do?
7. What is your family like?
8. How many siblings do you have?
9. What is your hobby?
10. What do you want to be?